Each LERU university has one or more members in the EU Research Projects Policy Group. The activities take place in interaction with the Vice-Rectors for Research Community. A Steering group is guiding the activities.
The group is monitoring issues concerning EU research funding programs. Following the developments and implementation of Horizon Europe; this includes the legal and financial aspects of the implementation the development of new schemes, the use of evaluation criteria, the translation of legal texts into work programs and the development of the missions and partnerships.
The EU Research Projects Managers Policy Group exchange best practices to which a part of the meetings will be dedicated. Common issues of concern arising from the best practice exchange will, if helpful, be addressed with European Commission officials. The activities take place in close interaction with the Research Policy Group.
At the meeting in October 2019 the following were discussed
– Update on recent LERU activities, EU developments and on Horizon Europe’ state of affairs
– Transformation of universities or the EU excellence initiative
– Introduction on the DE, FR and FI excellence initiative and state of affairs of ideas on EU initiative
– EU excellence initiative
– The Horizon Europe Strategic plan, missions and EIC: state of affairs, evaluation of R&I days and next steps
– Horizon Europe implementation, amongst others new model grant agreement, the implementation of the pathways to impact and the evaluation process – next steps for LERU
– European universities: short insight on the successful networks and lessons learnt from pilot one
The focus in 2020 will in particular be on
– influencing the negotiations between the European Parliament and the Council on the next Framework Program for Research and Innovation, Horizon Europe; with start on 1 January 2021
– discussing with the European Commission, and providing input where useful or requested, on the implementation of Horizon Europe; this includes the legal and financial aspects of the implementation, the finalisation of the strategic plan and its translation into work programmes and the missions
– monitoring of Horizon 2020 projects, especially on those aspects that are piloted in the last years of H2020 to be used more widely in Horizon Europe, such as lump sums and the EIC.
The policy group will also continue to exchange best practices to which a part of the meetings will be dedicated. Common worries or issues arising from the best practice exchange will, if helpful, be
adressed with European Commission officials. ERPM activities will continue to take place in close interaction with the Research Policy Group.
The EU Research Projects Policy Group works with the issues at the heart of LERU activities – research and research funding. Exchange of experience and best practices on proposal writing and on administrative and financial issues. The community follows up all important issues concerning EU research funding programmes; the implementation of Horizon 2020 and monitoring the H2020 project evaluation procedure and proposal template, the work on simplification, new Financial Regulations for research, ERC and ERC actions, Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions, the EIT and the development of European Innovation Partnerships.
– draft LERU FP9 paper
– What has worked well in former Framework Programmes and can ben inspiring for the future, discussion on the – FP4-FP7
– Indicators for impact measurement of H2020
– Horizon 2020 mid-term Review. A note or paper with LERU’s first general evaluation of H2020 has been developed.
LERU EC response to FP7 ex-post evaluation January 2016<
Horizon2020 indicators, assessing the results and impact of H2020
Designing a European Innovation Council, call for ideas
LERU IGLO ERA-in-action_recommendations 2015
LERU DG Internal affairs_budgetary affairs_assessment Horizon 2020
Horizon 2020 Champions, countries and organisations most successful
EC consultation on the simplification of the implementation of the reserach framework programmes
LERU response to the survey on Horizon 2020 Simplification Oct 2015
Summary of relevant findings from the ERC FP7 report
Article European Innovation Council
Interim evaluation Horizon 2020
Commission lays out plans to manage low Horizon 2020 success rates article
Results of the first 100 H2020 calls for proposals_Summary
Assessing the Effectiveness of Simplification Measures under FP7 study report